Bees are wonderful insects that pollinate plants, but getting stung by one is a painful experience. Bees can be dangerous to humans, especially for young children and people that are allergic. The following are some effective ways to treat a bee sting.
Traditional Methods for Treating a Bee Sting
A bee sting causes a myriad of uncomfortable sensations such as sharp pain, swelling, redness, itching, and warmth at the site of the sting. If you’re allergic to bees or get stung multiple times the symptoms can be much worse, and even life threatening. Fortunately, there are several ways to relieve the pain associated with a bee sting.
- Use ice or a cold compress- Applying ice or a cold compress to the affected area will greatly reduce the pain and swelling. This is one of the simplest and most common ways to treat a bee sting.
- Take an anti-inflammatory- Motrin or Advil will also assist in reducing the pain and swelling from a bee sting.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream- Hydrocortisone cream will relieve the itchiness and redness that is caused by the sting.
- Use an EpiPen- If you’re allergic to bees and get stung it’s possible to go into anaphylactic shock. This is why it’s important for you to always carry an EpiPen to prevent a severe allergic reaction.
Home Remedies for Treating a Bee Sting
There are several home remedies for treating a bee sting that are effective to varying degrees.
- Apply a mixture of baking soda and water- Making a paste out of baking soda and water and applying it to the bee sting may reduce the pain, itching and swelling. This will help neutralize the bee venom.
- Use Aloe Vera- Aloe Vera is effective for relieving pain and soothing the skin. You can purchase this in bottles or if you own a plant you can break a leaf off and apply the gel directly to the sting.
If you live in Brandon, Clearwater, Ft. Myers, Jacksonville, Land O’ Lakes, New Port Richey, Orlando, Sarasota or Tampa, Florida and your property is infested with bees, contact PestBear. Our technicians offer a variety of pest control solutions to fit your needs. We also specialize in ant, termite, bed bug and rodent services. Give us a call to set up an appointment with us.